Friday, January 1, 2010

New Years Resolution

When I was 13, I made a new years resolution not to bite my fingernails. I was in high school and decided they just looked yuck and so, cold turkey, I stopped biting them. Amazingly, I discovered that once they grew, I actually had really nice fingernails, they are strong, a good shape and look lovely with a manicure. I often receive compliments on them from un-reformed nail biters.

This was probably my first resolution I recall. Following this I am sure I made many, most probably related to weight loss or fitness, to save money etc. As I got older though, I realised that to resolve to do something was a sure fire way to set oneself up to fail, so instead, a plan was put into place to reach my goals. These goals included a trip to Disneyland before I was 25 (accomplished) and to buy our first home (also completed).

When I was 25, which seems like such a long time ago, I put pen to paper and wrote my "plan" on a tiny scrap piece of paper (which I still keep today as a reminder of how far I have come). This was a time when I felt I was starting to "grow up". I changed jobs having been at my first place of employment for 6 years, and moved into a senior management role for a large international finance company. This promotion came with more money, more opportunity and an ability for me to focus more on what I wanted in life.

My Plan went something like this:

Age 26 - bonus and payrise (check) complete renovations on house (partly)

Age 27 - complete renovations (mostly) buy a new house (check)

Age 28/29 - bonus and payrise (check), new car - had to be a forester (check) overseas holiday (yes - to Malasyia and Borneo) and promotion to Vice President (accomplished)

Age 30 - Save money

Age 31/32 - complete uni studies (done - Diploma in Legal Studies), overseas holiday (Tahiti). This plan did not forsee a redundancy this year (although it was noted as a variable that may change the plan) which was effectively a nice lotto win. It enabled us to pay off the house (not scheduled until age 33) and start trying for children. It also, however, made me focus on what I wanted from my employment at this time. I set clear employment goals moving into a new phase in my life (i.e. a family) and well, everything fell into place.

Age 33 - Pay off the house (completed age 31) and start family (Ashley was born in July, my redundancy child)

Age 34 - Return to work (yes - new job part time) overseas holiday - went to Fiji

I have intermittently added some resolutions along the way. Again, loose weight, get fitter, save money. One year I resolved to give to every charity that asked for money at the train station - so that particular year I bought a poppy, legacy badge, daffodil, buzzy bee and put money in lots of tins.

I will shortly be 36. My plan stopped at 35 when I sort of lost focus because I had all I wanted. And interestingly enough I read the book The Secret about the law of attraction. It talks about how if you want something enough you can get it. Well I do partly agree this is true. I haven't got my million dollars as yet (although I am about to check my lotto ticket), but I am pondering the next 10 years as my boys get older and what direction I want to take. It's time to enact a new plan. That is my resolution (oh, and to shed my baby weight, get back my fitness, fix my foot and have a happy and healthy 2010).

Happy new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment