Thursday, December 10, 2009

And baby makes 4

On 9 October 2009 Lachlan Arfon Jones was born. Our second (and last) child and a brother for Ashley. Ashley has been a good big brother so far. Prior to Lachlan's arrival he was aware of the "baby" on the way. He knew the baby lived in my tummy -and rather innocently believed that he got there because I ate him!! He also liked to try and squeeze my pre-natal vitamins through my belly button to "feed" the baby in the mornings. And surprisingly when Lachlan came out (through my belly button apparently) he was very pleased. He thinks he is very cute and keeps telling me how much Lachlan loves him. Very sweet. Hopefully it continues well into their teen years and beyond.

Whilst I was pregnant I tried to imagine what life would be like with "2" children. My observations 6 weeks in so far are as follows:
  • I was overwhelmed at how amazing it was to have my husband at Lachlan's birth. It was a very special thing to share.
  • Despite arriving 7 weeks later than Ashley did, and hearing all the horror stories about first and second babies being totally different, I can honestly say they are very similar - just with their own personalities.
  • I still believe that having a baby for me, although painful at the time, is not too much worrse than having a real bad headache that can go on for hours. I am sure many mothers would disagree and I know I am very lucky to have had such short and quick labours.
  • I learnt from my first child and shared experiences that breast is only best when it works for both mother and child - and that choosing to bottle feed does not make me a bad mum. My boys are both healthy, sleep well, cry little, and rarely get ill. They have clear skin and bright eyes and smile at me alot. And I can share parenting with my dear husband which makes me more happy, calm and in control - a personality trait that is not easy to relinquish just because you have a child. And - in 20 years time, or even 10, I am sure no-one will be able to tell how my baby was fed.
  • Although I have two boys, I honestly do not feel the need to "try again" for a girl. Our family plan was to have two children and this is what we have done. Clearly we are just good at making boys and I don't plan to have a third.
  • A baby is actually easier than a three year old. They are more transportable, sleep alot, complain less as long as they have a full tummy and clean nappy and warmth and are much easier to take shopping.
  • Life is busier and requires a little more organisation than with one child. And clearly when I return to work this will be our next challenge to deal with.
Being a mummy is pretty cool and the rewards are tremendous. From little things - big things grow and I will watch my little people with delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment